Sunday, January 27, 2008

Wow...it's been a while

Whoa. I knew it had been a long time since I last wrote here...but, dang! I didn't realize that is was approximately 19 weeks ago!

So, update on the pregnancy...I'm 27 wks along and still everything is pretty much going exactly as it is supposed to, which is a HUGE relief. I switched doctors offices at my 20 wk appointment to a practice that is about 20 miles closer to home than the one I started with. The first one was perfect for work, but as I work from home more often--which is such a blessing--I just can't justify driving 25 miles one way for a 10 minute dr's appt. So, I switched and so far so good. I like the doctors and the hospital is about 5 minutes from my front door, so I'm pretty happy with the decision.

We're having a little boy, whom we've decided to name Marcus. I'm just starting my third trimester and I'm getting really anxious to meet my baby boy...and to feel like I'm in control of my body again...and to, well, just get on with this next phase of my life. We've started construction on the room formerly known as our office, now known as the nursery. DH and his brother repaired a wall yesterday to dampen noise from the bathroom and we picked out paint colors.

I can't wait to get all this big stuff done, because I'm very excited to start "fluffing the nest." I had my first baby shower last weekend at my mom and dad's house (details of this visit with my family deserve their own post, so I will do that later). A lot of my friends who go back as far as first grade where there (holy crap...that's 23 years I've known those girls!) and it was so nice to see people I hadn't connected with for years. My sister-in-law, Mamacita, is generously having another shower for me in a couple of weeks and it is terribly hard to wait until after that shower to go and buy things. Now that I have some of it, I want to...well...buy the rest of it! Plus, getting the nursery ready is something I can do, something I have control over during a time I have precious little I can actually consciously impact. It makes me feel less frantic and that's a good thing.

Other than that, I've come down with my first cold since finding out I was pregnant and it's rough. The cough is one that vibrates behind my breast-bone and is violent enough that it squeezes my poor little one--which makes him unhappy and results in kicking and thrashing. Plus this whole "can't take any medicine" thing is the worst. Cross your fingers with me that it has a very short duration.

No comments: